Home & Hive

Live honeybee colony and swarm removal

(972) 529-8868

What should you do if you get stung by a bee?

Step 1: Remove the stinger

If you get stung by a bee the stinger will most likely remain in the sting site and continue to pump venom, so it is best to remove this immediately. You should not try to remove the stinger by pinching it with your fingers or tweezers as this will squeeze more bee venom into the site. The best way to remove the stinger is by scraping it off with your finger nail, a credit card, or similar object. 

Step 2: Look for signs of an allergic reaction

Most bee stings do not require medical attention, but some people are very allergic to the venom in bee stings. If you notice any of the following symptoms you should seek immediate medical assistance.

  • Difficulty breathing
  • Hives that appear as a red, itchy rash and spread to areas beyond the sting site
  • Swelling of the face, throat, or mouth tissue
  • Wheezing or difficulty breathing
  • Dizziness or a sharp drop in blood pressure

Step 3: Cleanse the sting site

Wash the sting site with soap and warm water

Step 4: Take Ibuprofen or Acetaminophen for pain relief

If the above allergic reaction symptoms are not present you can deal with the pain of the bee sting by taking over the counter pain medicine or applying an ice pack to the sting site. 

 

What should you do if your pet gets stung by a bee?

When a bee stings your pet, it's not a laughing matter. Outside pets are more at risk to bee stings, but inside pets can also be stung. Knowing what to do can save their life and it can be a matter of life or death for some pets. 

Step 1: Remove stinger if possible

If you can locate the stinger you should remove it immediately by using the same method mentioned above. It is not always easy to find the stinger and if you cannot locate it, don't worry about it. The stinger will eventually come out on its own. After your pet has been stung by a bee they will most likely rub their head on the ground or paw at the sting site and may be successful at removing the stinger themselves. 

Step 2: Ice the affected area

Place an ice pack on the affected area and try to leave it on for approximately 30 minutes. It is important to monitor them for up to 24 hours to make sure they do not have an allergic reaction.

Step 3: Watch for signs of allergic reaction

 If your pet has difficulty in breathing, is trembling, acts like he's cold, has diarrhea, anxiousness, rapid breathing, has pale gums, has signs of weakness and any usual swelling in other places besides at the site of the sting, take him to your vet immediately. If your pet was stung in the mouth or on their nose, pay attention to swelling in their mouth, head and neck. The swelling could be constricting their airway.